Salix Tree Art

Artwork by me, Silvia.. Ponderings and poetry by myself and other more talented writers.

My Photo
Name:
Location: ...in the country, Ireland

My name is Silvia (also known as SalixTree ), I live in the Irish countryside. I write and illustrate children's books. I like to garden, cross stitch, crochet, and read fantasy books.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Interconnected?

I'm a loner...
I live very far from my family. I live out in the country, far from everyone I know in Dublin. I don't mind.. it's quiet here. I like it.
I'm shy, so lose touch with people easily.
I talk with family over the phone, or Email, and rare visits.
It's ok, I don't really mind. I like being alone a lot of the time.
This may sound sad to all you who have lots of friends, but I'm happy here.
I have my garden, my cats, my hubby and occasional visits from my kids.
I'm a loner, it suits me.
The only thing that's connected in my studio are these two dolls dancing on a little green. Tra la laaa!

(posted very late for Studio Friday, cause I was too shy to admit all this because of what
Nancy Bea said "Isolation can cause fear and despondancy: the artist alone in the ivory tower is often the one who commits suicide or stops working!" I don't feel that is true at all, at least for me.)
;-}

1 Comments:

Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

*******************************
Cat said...

And you have your art. Isn't it interesting how it seems most artists are loners? I think that must be where the roots of creativity grow.

12:54 AM
*******************************
Chirp said...

I need to be alone to create. If I dont get that quiet time I'm all a jitter and I yearn for at least 2 days of solitude a week.Unfortunately many of my friends and inlaws go out of their way to loot my free time. Salix, your quiet life away from it all sounds like bliss!

7:33 PM
*******************************
Sydney said...

If it works for you, that's okay. I like interaction but I also need a good block of quiet time to create.

8:15 PM
*******************************
Anke said...

There are times I enjoy being alone but I also need my friend connections and getting under poeple. But that's how different poeple are.

8:42 PM
*******************************
Going For Greatness said...

Sil, I could, very easily live where you do and love it just as much! Though I am a very social person, I cherish my 'alone time' much more. I would be happy being social one weekend a month and have the rest of the month tucked away in a quiet house with my art, garden and little family. :)
Lots of long-distance hugs~
Gealbhain an Ruadh

12:53 PM
*******************************
Laura said...

I think many people who find your lonesome time strange to appreciate are uncomfortable with themselves and the kind of introspection being on your own creates. It's true, at times, self-examination can be difficult thing to go through, especially by yourself! If you're shy and I don't like that term, I think time on your own allows you to be creative without the criticism you fear or would be stifled by. I'm speaking as a 'shy' but creative pixie, myself....

8:43 PM
*******************************
Salix Tree said...

Thank you all for your comments, much appreciated. Sometimes I wonder if I am the only one who likes my aloneness.
Laura, about critisism: critiques I can take. I have been critiqued all my life. When I was working on animated features, the critisism was very intense, everything needed to be top quality. So I am very used to critique, negative and positive, it doesn't bother me in the least. I don't fear it, and I am definately not stifled by it. It's been part of my life so long, I am accepting of it, and take on board anyone's comment. I believe that everyone has a valid opinion to express, and should be encouraged to do so!

2:09 PM
*******************************
Laura said...

Salix, I'm glad to hear it! I speak from personal experience and I didn't intend to guess at your own reasons. I can tell you're quite self-assured! It's not constructive criticism I fear but criticism is influential and that's my point. Sometimes it's good to just do your unadulterated own thing.

I've had plenty of people uncomfortable with themselves, with silence, with doing nothing or doing something pointless for no-one but themselves tell me that I'm 'shy'. I don't think 'shy' says enough about how comfortable and happy you are with your own space and time.

6:50 PM
*******************************

June 02, 2007 3:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home