Salix Tree Art

Artwork by me, Silvia.. Ponderings and poetry by myself and other more talented writers.

My Photo
Name:
Location: ...in the country, Ireland

My name is Silvia (also known as SalixTree ), I live in the Irish countryside. I write and illustrate children's books. I like to garden, cross stitch, crochet, and read fantasy books.

Monday, October 23, 2006

...no one hears my silent tread...

Ghost.. for Illustration Friday

An illustration of a little Japanese girl's ghost, after the bombing of Hiroshima. This song is the saddest song I have ever heard. If you have a chance, listen to the song on the CD, "this mortal coil, blood". I have written down the lyrics:

I COME AND STAND AT EVERY DOOR


I come and stand at every door
but no-one hears my silent tread
I knock and yet remain unseen
for I am dead, for I am dead

I'm only seven although I've died
in Hiroshima long ago
I'm seven now as I was then
when children die they do not grow

My hair was scorched by swirling flame
my eyes grew dim, my eyes grew blind
Death came and turned my bones to dust
and that was scattered by the wind

I need no fruit, I need no rice
I need no sweet, nor even bread
I ask for nothing for myself
for I am dead, for I am dead

All that I ask is that for peace
you fight today, you fight today
so that the children of this world
may live and grow, and laugh and play

(original lyrics by Nazim Hikmet)

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this image and the lyrics Salix. Such events are important to remember, in the hopes that they will help us to avoid repeating the same mistakes.

If you are interested, this book is another good exploration of the effects of the atomic bombings in Japan. The book really pulls at your heart, but is absolutely worth reading:

Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes
by Eleanor Coerr

October 23, 2006 3:57 pm  
Blogger studio lolo said...

Wow...very, very powerful, both the illo and the lyrics. Thank you!

October 23, 2006 4:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. I am deeply touched being a mother myself. Great illo, too.

October 23, 2006 4:49 pm  
Blogger Michelle Lana said...

beautiful!!

October 23, 2006 5:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very sad, and wonderful illustration.

I got to visit Nagasaki, the second bombed city, and saw the memorial museum there. Very touching and vivid reminder of how awful it was.

October 23, 2006 6:25 pm  
Blogger nicole falk said...

very beautiful..nice work

October 23, 2006 8:38 pm  
Blogger Kim de Young said...

Really amazing stuff here. Wonderful layering.

October 23, 2006 8:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that's haunting, to be sure. Great use of multi-media.

October 23, 2006 9:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very beautiful

October 23, 2006 11:12 pm  
Blogger abula said...

a very sad illo.. but it's beautiful!.. thanks for sharing!

October 24, 2006 4:45 am  
Blogger Poseidion said...

awww tis sad, and the girl is so cute. This is a great idea.

October 24, 2006 2:37 pm  
Blogger Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

Totally cool! I'm fully impressed.

October 25, 2006 9:44 am  
Blogger Issi said...

amazing, beautiful illustration,
Best Wishes,
Issi

October 25, 2006 11:53 am  
Blogger Naturegirl said...

OMG this illustration and the words penetrate right through the soul!

November 22, 2006 4:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home